Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Tomasz Stanko Quintet - 1973 - Purple Sun

Tomasz Stanko Quintet 
1973
Purple Sun





01. Boratka - Flute's Ballad 14:10
02. My Night, My Day 6:25
03. Flair 15:08
04. Purple Sun 6:25

Bass – Hans Hartmann
Drums, Percussion – Janusz Stefanski
Saxophone [Soprano, Tenor], Flute, Percussion – Janusz Muniak
Trumpet – Tomasz Stanko
Violin, Saxophone [Alto] – Zbigniew Seifert

Recorded on march 9, 1973, Musikhochschule München.



Tomasz Stanko is my favourite jazz trumpeter and simply one of my favourite musicians of all time.  From being at the vanguard of 60s Polish jazz with the tragically short-lived Krystof Komeda (I may post Astigmatic at some point) and linking up with kindred spirits like Edward Vesala in the mid 70s, to his mature, elegaic post-millenium output (DO NOT MISS Wislawa!), the constant is always a singular player (and team player) and spare, lean writer.

Anyhow, for my first Stanko post I've gone for an earlier fusion era that only lasted for a couple of albums in the early 70s, but could easily hold its own with what was going on elsewhere in Europe or in the US.  Purple Sun was in fact recorded in Munich in March 1973, but retained a heavyweight Polish lineup (save for a top-notch Swiss bassist), of particular note being the legendary violinist Zbigniew Seifert who gives proceedings a slight Mahavishnu flavour in places.  Overall, though, this album is just a fantastic slice of post-Bitches Brew groove with the unique slant of being rooted in Eastern European free jazz.

The material on this post was sent to me by a regular visitor that has contributed some more stuff in the past, apparently two of his latest contributions where straight rip offs from Alan Burn's blog http://slowgoesthegoose.blogspot.nl ... I will double check his previous contributions and give credit there where it's due... My apologies to Alan, I had never visited his blog until today, that I received a pretty peeved message from him... anyhow... go check his stuff... plenty of cool music there also...Do not piss him off coz he has a temper (Fuck it I would have probably reacted in the same fashion)

1 comment:





  1. http://www.filefactory.com/file/1ogp43yaeqhh/3350.rar

    ReplyDelete