Sunday, September 27, 2015

Michael Mantler - 1977 - Silence

Michael Mantler 
1977 
Silence



01. I Walk With My Girl (9:41)
02. I Watch The Clouds (9:23)
03. It Is Curiously Hot (4:42)
04. When I Run (2:04)
05. Sometimes I See People (4:10)
06. Around Me Sits The Night (4:15)
07. She Was Looking Down (3:24)
08. For Instance (2:55)
09. A Long Way (1:51)
10. After My Work Each Day (2:44)
11. On Good Evenings (7:10)

- Carla Bley / voice, piano, organ
- Robert Wyatt / voice, percussion
- Kevin Coyne / voice
- Chris Spedding / guitar
- Ron McClure / bass guitar, acoustic bass
- Clare Maher / cello



...ideas once amusing (Gorey's 'Hapless Child') or emotionally absorbing ('No Answer', from Beckett's 'How It Is') are now thoroughly played out. With due respect to Messrs. Coyne and Wyatt, who attempt to salvage this very lame duck, 'Silence' is possibly the least listenable record I have ever heard.

Indeed several members of the MM editorial staff have already volunteered to   splinter the disc against the filing cabinets here, and I can only sympathize with their reaction.

... imbecilic sing-song treatment ... the musicianship here is uniformly dull ... noodling electric piano rhythms of very little consequence ... every rock guitar cliché in the book ... uninteresting ... inferior ...

- MELODY MAKER

Well... who cares what the Melody Maker has to say... I have always liked this album.

2 comments:


  1. http://www.filefactory.com/file/3vfe5esmtvdv/2513.rar

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this one worked! And, you're right! WHO CARES WHAT MM THINKS? (To make matters worse, I knew a top WEA rep when Tori Amos broke. I was SHOCKED by the generous reviews her first album got from the sardonic NME and MM reviewers. I outright asked him what it cost. Dinner? Money? Drugs? A Girl? His answer was "It wasn't easy, but, yeah, all of that. I will say that it was a boy for the MM reviewer, though."

    ReplyDelete