Friday, July 10, 2015

Maliedictus Sound - 1968 - Maledictus Sound

Maliedictus Sound 
Maledictus Sound

01. Kriminal Theme    
02. The Whistler    
03. Inside My Brain    
04. Blues Section Club    
05. Concerto Genocide    
06. Transfer From The Modulation    
07. Ams Tram Gram    
08. Entrac Theme    
09. Radio Pirat Program    
10. Spidly Made In Gaulle    
11. Jim Clark Was Driving Recklessly    
12. Dark Sky
13. Crazy Circus    
14. Art Director    
15. Heathcliff Y Cry Your Name    
16. Monster Cocktail    

Written, Recorded and guitar by Jean-Pierre Massierra
Pierre Demaria - bass
Georges Amadi - clarinet violin
Edmond Aublette - bass
André Ceccarelli - drums
Nicolas Montalbano - drums
Patrick Scotto - engineer (sound)
Jean-Pierre Guidicelli - engineer (technician)
Jean-Claude Chavanat, Richard Pasero - guitar
Patrick Djivas - guitar
Opéra De Monte-Carlo, Opéra De Nice horns, violin
Guy Sabato - kazoo, voice
Bernardini - organ
René Bec - piano
Paul Baile - saxophone
Jean Buzon - trumpet, violin

The Maledictus Sound was first released in 1968, and I would have loved to have seen the looks on the faces of those who heard it. I believe it was recorded in France, though the Mucho Gusto label that has reissued it is based in Quebec. I've always loved the groooooovy, sometimes campy, music heard in countless 1960's beach and party films, and The Maledictus Sound is just full of that kind of stuff, while venturing deeply into wild freakout territory. A terrific mish-mosh of styles and studio effects, this is a good fun album that I'll bet had a prominent place in the LP collections of the members of bands like Vas Deferens Organization.

Tracks like the opener, "Kriminal Theme", feature the kind of psychedelic big band music that was so ubiquitous in 1960's films. There's lots of horns, but along with this are spaced out synths unlike anything I've heard from a 1968 recording. And the screaming voices on the track are absolutely insane. "Heathcliff Y Cry Your Name" is a freaky atmospheric tune with a nice organ sound, eerie synths, and more ultra strange voicings. "Inside My Brain" is an oddball tune with a Sonny & Cher "The Beat Goes On" bass, along with horns, and heavy rockin' psych guitar. For guitar I really love the screaming licks on "Crazy Circus". "Jim Clark Was Driving Recklessly" is a wild freak-fest that takes place on a racetrack. It rocks hard but the keyboard work is among the best on the album. And without question my favorite track is "Monster Cocktail". Stand back Bobby Boris Pickett. Your Crypt Kickers ain't got nothing on this tune. A heavily dosed take on the "Monster Mash", with a "They're Coming To Take Me Away Hah Hah" beat. Freaky to the extreme!

Along with all this are several novelty tunes, a couple of which include Alvin and the Chipmunks voices. There's also a couple light orchestral songs that I considered throwaways. The reissue also includes a nearly 9 minute bonus track, "L'etrange Monsieur Whinster", that's quite a bit different from the 2-3 tunes that make up the rest of the album. It alternates between complex progressive rock and lighter ethereal prog, and incorporates a range of ethnic influences. But the music can't sit still, continually changing directions as it journeys, in collage fashion, through an endless maze of musical styles. It's just as crazed as the album, but seems much more serious in its intent. Overall, a good fun set of freakiness from the late 60's. (From Aural Innovations #17, September 2001)



  2. I just found this great site,but it looks like I will be dead before I finish 4-5 downloads.Please ul on zippy or Mega.

    1. The point is to listen to the music, not to cumulate data. Download one album in the morning, listen to it half of a day. Then download the second album and listen to it for the rest of the day. Should be enough for one day.

    2. Agreed with Jan... No point having 8tb of data that you will never listen... I remember the days that I would save my lunch pennies and so to be able to buy a single every now and then... and maybe an album once a month or two... until birthday... then count the money you would get from uncles and aunts and decide what albums you HAD to go buy.... So having 40 Lp's and about 100 cassettes taped from albums from the public library... made you THE serious collector at

    3. I come from a different direction - I'm an archivist. I listen to everything once and I rate it (usually not by song, but if a song stands out, then sure - I'll rate it higher) and that puts better material in high rotation, as I listen to music all day long while I work on other things. Because I'm an archivist, I collect it all. I use MediaMonkey to manage my collection (as of today, 110,232 songs) which also allows me to *add custom data columns.* So, custom column 1 is nationality - what country is this from? If the band is from 3 or fewer countries, I'll list the three (for example, Stereolab is UK/FRA/AUD) if it's more than three, then I label it INTL. The other column is a CRTC column (I have an online radio show, so the CRTC wants to know what "Style" of music every song is - there's a "popular music range" (21 for almost everything - from rock to rap to techno - basically anything four to the floor, 22 is country, 23 is muzak, 24 is easy listening), Then there's the Special Interest categories (31 for Classical, opera, musicals) 32 is folk and folk oriented, 33 is world and international folk, 34, is Jazz, Fusion, and Blues, 35 is nonclassical religious, 36 is experimental music. I have a personal protest against the CRTC's obviously total bullshit categorisation of music, so I include one category of my own: 37 for progressive)
      So, you can see the value of my categorisations. As a consequence, I need to be able to DL music quickly so I paid for a membership on filefactory. Frankly, I think filefactory is utterly incompetent, but they are not expense and as a paying member, the downloads are pretty fast and I can do multiple downloads at once. What would take all day to do is now possible in an hour. So, yes, zippyshare is a heck of a lot faster, but membership at zippyshare is more expensive. Also, by being slower, filefactory is less likely to come into the gunsites of the vectoralists. For example, look at all the data lockers that were really fast 6 years ago. How many still exist? None. However, all the pokey ones that everyone hates are still around....
      So keep up the good work Drago! And "Anon" - if you're serious about archiving this material like I am, then get off your cheap ass and buy a membership at filefactory, STFU and stop trolling this awesome site.

  3. muchas gracias idolo!!!

  4. Great eclectic mix on this blog - always a pleasure finding something new and unusual - great post!
    keep up the good work
    happy trails :-)