Monday, March 23, 2015

Pussy - 1972 - Invasion

Pussy
1972
Invasion





01. The Knife
02. Feline Woman
03. Pig Mansion
04. Man of This World
05. Take Me Home
06. Riding Down the Red Flag
07. I Keep Remembering You
08. Lady Ella
09. I. F. O.
10. Moonshine
11. Feline Woman (From Original 1972 Single With Bob Cooke)
12. Ska-Child (From Original 1972 Single With Bob Cooke)
13. Pig Mansion (From 1972 Single Session, Unreleased Version With Bob Cooke)
14. A Place in the Sky (From 1973 Session With Bob Cooke)
15. Lady Ella (From 1973 Session With Bob Cooke)
16. I Keep Remembering You (From 1973 Session With Bob Cooke)


Lynden Williams (vocals)
Bob Cook (lead guitar)
Bill Hinde (guitar)
Paul Dean (bass)
Ray Sparrow (drums)



I first heard of this band in their previous incarnation as Jerusalem. They were "discovered" by Ian Gillan and that alone piqued my curiosity, being a big Purple fan at the time. I bought the former band's single and when they changed names I bought that single as well. The latter, "Feline Woman", is included here, together with the b-side "Ska Child" and these two tracks were the reason for buying this album. The Jerusalem album, which I only bought in the 90s, was a disappointment to me but was not the least bit surprising. The singles had both been rather amateurish and displayed more enthusiasm than ability and so I knew what to expect with a full album of the same.

So, I went into this purchase with a little trepidation and not that much optimism. These feelings were completely justified but I was more disappointed in this album than the earlier one. I had naively expected, at the very least, for an improvement in the band's ensemble playing and also in the song-writing department. Sadly, neither materialised! The same turgid arrangements, the same leaden guitar work and ham-fisted craftsmanship still abound but now the band sound, at times, like a poor man's T. Rex (Jeepster period). This is not remotely a good thing in my books and thus the album can only be seen something of a let-down.

Don't expect a lost gem or even a lost minor gem because it is anything but. If you like early heavy rock, played in a naive and inexpert manner, then the listener may derive some small pleasure

1 comment:



  1. http://www.filefactory.com/file/49b1f4e96j9/n/511.rar

    ReplyDelete